You are here : Saulge through the years > Stories and Legends
Saulge through the years
Stories and Legends
The Cemetry Cross
In time gone by, each cemetry was supposed to have one large cross to protect its dead and individual graves were not supposed to have their own cross. The cemetry at Saulge has two crosses. The first, stands tall and elegant welcoming the faithful as they enter the cemetry. The cross has a chalice at its base on one side and behind it is a diamond shaped shield. The narrow upright of the cross has been broken at some point as it is held in place by two metal staples.
The Hosanna Cross
The second cross, which is much older than the entrance cross, is what is known as "une croix hosanniere". Its pedestal is round and made of carved stone and has a stone altar or altar of repose which was no doubt used for religious ceremonies. The thinner upright is made unusually of stone rings which sit one on top of another. The weathering that has occurred gives a clue as to its age. The cross which adorns its top, seems to have been put on upside down.
The Soldier's Tomb
This tomb bears witness to the war in Mexico of 1863 - 1867. It was a war of conquest undertaken by the French Empire to create a "Catholic and Latin Empire" in South America. A young man from Saulge lost his life during that war and his body was lost. To honour his memory a cenotaph was built which bears the inscription "Armand Jean Bernier de Maligny, corporal in the "regiment etranger, 3eme Bon, 2eme compagnie born 17 June 1838 in Paris, killed 1st March 1866 fighting in Santa Isabella near Parras, Mexico. His still warm body was eaten by vultures. Under this stone, nothing".